In this article...
Granite has been the go-to construction material for thousands of years. It has been used for exterior as well as interior designs and has also been used to construct sturdy monuments, bridges, and other structures. This stone is extremely versatile and can be used to make granite flooring, granite countertops, and basins. It looks fantastic, is durable, and will be a timeless addition to any home whether it is located in Toronto or California.
What Is Granite?
A geologist might define granite as a coarse-grained igneous rock that is completely made up of crystals. However, in the stone trade, it is defined as any feldspar-rock that is interlocked with crystals that are large enough to be seen by the naked eye.
Advantages Of Using Granite
Granite is one of the best materials to use if you’re building a home and want it to be beautiful as well as durable. Here are few reasons to install granite in your home.
- Granite adds value to your home, which isn’t likely to depreciate in time.
- It is a natural stone that has a glossy look, which will add a stunning finishing effect to your home.
- These stones have no pores, making them highly sanitary. Bacteria contamination will not be a problem with this stone, provided you keep it clean.
- The surface of granite is heat-resistant.
- The stone is also stain-resistant and can be easily cleaned with warm water and a mild detergent.
Disadvantages Of Using Granite
- Granite does not come cheap. It is one of the most expensive materials out there, so if you want to buy it, be prepared to spend more.
- You will need professional help to install granite flooring. So, installation costs need to be taken into consideration.
- The stone needs to be maintained well, which means that it has to be cleaned regularly. It also needs to be sealed once in 2 years to ensure it stays glossy.
- If you seal the granite with an already existing stain, there is a chance that it will be stained forever.
- The stone can crack if you hit it with a sharp, heavy object.
- When used for flooring, granite can be cold and hard under the feet. But this can be solved by installing underfloor heating or using carpets and rugs.
Ways To Use Granite
This stone can be incorporated into your home in a number of ways. Its durability and distinctive appearance make it the perfect material to work with. You can install granite floor tiles in your bathroom, hallways, and kitchen to create a sophisticated ambience. Granite can be used to produce beautiful kitchen countertops with custom-made shapes and edges. You can use granite building stones to adorn your exteriors. The rough surfaces will give the building a rugged, natural look.
You can use rough granite paving stones of different colours to create pathways on your property or install granite stone basins in your bathroom for an interesting and rustic aesthetic. You can even add a slab in your kitchen as a backsplash for a clean, stripped-down look.
Caring For The Stone
Cleaning granite is relatively simple to look after and doesn’t require excessive maintenance. Ensure you sweep and mop your floors regularly to keep them looking shiny. Add a layer of granite sealant periodically in order to protect the stone from moisture and maintain its smoothness and color. If any greasy or oily substances fall onto your floor, wipe it up immediately. Use mild cleaners to keep the surface intact and avoid acid-based cleaners as they can cause damage to the floor.
Granite countertops in kitchens also need to be coated with sealant, once every two years to keep them smooth and shiny. The sealant does not make your kitchen counter entirely stain-proof, but it does give you enough time to wipe away spillage. Clean acidic foods off the countertop immediately to avoid any erosion. Another simple way to keep your counters looking as good as new is to clean them with a wet sponge.
At the end of the day, granite stones are a solid investment. If you think you have the funds for a granite-centric house, then go for it! You’ll be adding to the value of your home in more ways than one.