In this article...
Not long ago, wood flooring was the only game in town. Although there are now a good number of other flooring options, most people agree that wood flooring, especially solid wood flooring, has not lost its allure. But everything has its price. Some types of wood flooring may be cheap to install, but others do not necessarily follow in the same vein.
Flooring can be installed by three people: a general contractor, a specialty contractor, and by you (DIY). Not to discredit general contractors but a specialty contractor does a better job. This is because most probably, it’s the only job the contractor does and does best.
Before we can estimate the cost of installing wood flooring, let’s look at the various types that exist.
- Solid hardwood flooring or simply known as hardwood flooring is one of the most common types of wood flooring. Basically, solid wood planks of hardwood flooring are made from wood boards from different types of trees i.e. wood species into a tongue and groove for fitting along with additional manufacturing such as planning, staining, and curing. Planks can be between 18 to 20mm thick. Installation is complex and some wood species are harder than others.
- Engineered hardwood flooring is another common type of wood flooring – three to four layers of plywood are glued together to get a final 14mm thick plank. A 4mm solid wood surface is further applied at the top for finishes which can be sanded and refinished if required. This type of wood flooring comes in a number of styles allowing it to fit any decor.
- Bamboo Flooring is not most common however it is also considered a type of wood flooring. It is manufactured by highly processing mature bamboo poles. It is durable, soft and resistant to moisture among other things.
- Cork Flooring is not normally used in homes but it is also considered a type of wood flooring since its harvested from cork oak tree. Typically cork oak trees are found in Spain, Portugal, Tunisia, Morocco, and other places, it is sustainable, soft, hypo-allergenic, and even insect resistant. However, it is more expensive than all the other wood flooring options due to import costs, installation etc.
- Laminate flooring is made by compressing layers of fiberboard together. A photographic image of a tile pattern, stone, or wood grain is then placed over the compressed boards. It is offered in a variety of styles with higher quality laminate featuring some characteristics of natural wood. Although laminate flooring is not considered a type of wood flooring since it imitates the look of wood flooring.
Let’s Dig into the Real Deal:
The Wood Flooring Costs Including Installation
Hardwood Flooring Costs Including Installation
Hardwood floors are made from a number of different wood species. Each has its own color, durability, and even price. Below are some of the most popular type of hardwood flooring with their average material prices.
Please note that the costs of hardwood flooring noted below vary depending on the width of each hardwood flooring planks, stain color, and grade which are premium, classic-better, and plank.
|Maple Hardwood Flooring||$5 – $8|
|Red Maple Hardwood Flooring||$5 – $7|
|Beech Hardwood Flooring||$5 – $7|
|White Oak Hardwood Flooring||$4 – $8|
|Northern Red Oak Hardwood Flooring||$4 – $8|
|Ash Hardwood Flooring||$5 – $7|
|Hickory Hardwood Flooring||$6 – $8|
|Red Elm Hardwood Flooring||$5 – $8|
|Walnut Hardwood Flooring||$4 – $14|
|Cherry Hardwood Flooring||$5 – $8|
Note: Above hardwood flooring prices are in Canadian Dollars
In addition the above hardwood flooring costs and installation costs there is also delivery costs, which vary depending on the location, distance from the store, and quantity of flooring material. Sometimes these costs are built-in to the material price, but you should always confirm before budgeting your hardwood flooring project.
Engineered Hardwood Flooring Costs Including Installation
Engineered hardwood flooring comes in few different profile which differs with respect to its installation. Additionally, due to its manufactured design, it is a perfect flooring product for basement flooring since the plywood bottom layers hold up against moisture relatively well. Below are some of the most popular type of engineered hardwood flooring with their average material prices.
Just like aforementioned hardwood flooring costs, engineered hardwood flooring costs noted below vary depending on the width of each engineered hardwood flooring planks, stain color, and grade.
|White Oak Engineered Hardwood Flooring (Finish: Hardscrapped)||$4 – $6|
|Red Oak Engineered Hardwood Flooring||$4 – $5|
|Hard Maple Engineered Hardwood Flooring||$4 – $6|
|Maple Engineered Hardwood Flooring (Finish: Handscraped & Distressed)||$4 – $5|
|Hickory Engineered Hardwood Flooring (Finish: Handscraped & Distressed)||$4 – $5|
|Oak Engineered Hardwood Flooring (Finish: Wirebrushed)||$4 – $6|
Note: Above engineered hardwood flooring prices are in Canadian Dollars
In addition the above mentioned engineered hardwood flooring costs and installation costs there is also delivery costs, which vary depending on the location, distance from the store, and quantity of flooring material. Sometimes these costs are built-in to the material price, but you should always confirm before budgeting your engineered hardwood flooring project.
Bamboo Flooring Costs Including Installation
Bamboo Flooring has been allowed LEED points via United States Green Building Council.
It is considered an eco-friendly flooring and due to its natural ability to resist insects and moisture it can be used as basement flooring, however, warranty of the product manufacturer must be checked to confirm its use. Bamboo Flooring is typically made available in planks with either vertical or horizontal grain orientation. As for Bamboo Flooring Costs below are the most popular type of bamboo flooring with their average prices
Please note that the costs of bamboo flooring noted below vary depending on the type of manufacturing, country of manufacturing i.e. China, United State and few other factors.
|Solid Bamboo Flooring||$1.5 – $5.0|
|Horizontal Bamboo Flooring||$1.9 – $3.3|
|Vertical Bamboo Flooring||$3.0 – $5.0|
|Strand Woven Bamboo Flooring||$2.0 – $5.0|
|Handscraped Bamboo Flooring||$1.8 – $3.9|
|Carbonized Bamboo Flooring||$1.8 – $4.0|
|Bamboo Laminate Flooring||$1.3 – $4.0|
|Floating Bamboo Flooring||$1.8 – $3.3|
Note: Above bamboo flooring prices are in Canadian Dollars
Another factor which influences the total bamboo flooring installation costs is the delivery fee which is completely dependent on the square footage of flooring, travel distance from the store, you should confirm it before budgeting your bamboo flooring installation.
How to Keep Costs Reasonable
One way to reduce a flooring budget is to purchase the wood flooring yourself, pick it up yourself and bring it the home so that the installation contractor only needs to install it. Homeowners may expect to pay more if they want intricate details such as installing moisture barrier underneath basement flooring which can increase the total installation costs as borders or inlaid patterns. Keeping the layout simple can cost up to $.75 to $.99 per square foot in extra installation costs. Other ways to minimize costs include:
- Shopping Around: it is advisable to get the most competitive pricing for a budget. Price similar type, style, or likable color options online, at local retailers and at discount flooring stores to get the best possible price for your wood flooring.
- Getting Multiple Estimates: Installation is a huge cost for flooring projects. It is good to get estimates from a list of various licensed, insured installation contractors to get the best price offers.
- Saving on Labor Costs: pros charge for tasks like removing and disposing of the old flooring, moving furniture and other essentials and prepping an area. Doing it prior by yourself can help reduce the fee that would have been paid for these services.
Points to note
In the basement, sometimes concrete does not appear to be leaking any water. However, it will still emit moisture that will create mold under the floor. It is advisable to install a vinyl layer or something else to counter the mold before eventually laying the floor.
The most variable cost of all will be that of labor since this tends to differ according to where a person lives and how accessible the place is. A good technique for estimating floor installation labor costs is to add 50% of the purchase price of the material to get the average installation cost.
Pet claws often take a toll on solid hardwood floors. For those who keep one, choosing a very tough hardwood floor over softwood ones or using one that is resin-infused like bamboo substitutes, is the only way to go to keep the integrity of the floor.
There are several installation considerations that have to be made before a floor can be laid. They include:
- Pre-existing floor
- Repair or replacements needed to the current floor
- Moldings and baseboards
- Sealants and stains
Flooring is a major investment, so it is good to have all other aspects like concrete checked before laying it on basement floor or concrete. No matter the kind of floor picked, if some of its elements like joists and subfloors need some work, it always increases the labor costs. Laying a hardwood floor on concrete is not really advisable but if necessary a floating system that eliminates the need for gluing is the best installation option.